Alchemy A-Z of running your firm: A is for Activity
When you start your own firm there are lots of things to do and get sorted so activity levels need to be high, but also well-targeted. It’s easy to end up as a busy fool, running around frantically doing things that aren’t actually going to take you forward (trust me, I know!). So here are my 7 tips for getting things up and running quickly and smoothly:
- Have a look at your plan, and if you don’t have a plan make one.
- Draw up a list of the really important things that need doing (eg letting people know you’re in business, making good contacts, sorting things out with HMRC, designing your business cards and marketing material. Oh, and getting people to pay you for what you do of course).
- Prioritise these various activities and give yourself challenging but achievable deadlines. Clue: securing clients should be at the top of the list.
- Dive in and make a start.
- Find someone who’s not involved in your business to hold you accountable. This could be a mentor, a friend or someone else who is just starting out. I would avoid asking your spouse, partner or relative to hold you accountable. Why? There’s probably too much baggage and emotion and you may feel that you’re being nagged rather than supported.
- Focus. There will be lots of bright, shiny new things that will catch your eye and distract you but until you knuckle down and get the basics sorted your firm will struggle to get off the ground.
- Remember that you need to rest and recharge so make time for yourself. In the early days you may be your firm’s best and only asset so take good care of yourself.
A free, no-obligation coaching session will help you get things moving quickly so give me a call on 01235 861 311 or email at Jackie@alchemybusinesscoaching.biz and we’ll get something in the diary.